It’s national love day. It’s Oregon’s birthday. It is the completion of a hellish week in the school of dental hygiene. I am exhausted. But. This post needs to be shared.
The preface is this: I am not touting my unattached status. Technically, I’m married. To school, that is. It isn’t the healthiest relationship, as it takes up all of my time and currently gives little in return. I’m told that my patience and perseverance will be rewarded in the end, and it will become a mutually beneficial relationship come August 2015. Crossing my fingers. Plus, any and all free time is filled with running. Sorry, boys.
While I am not a large fan of obligatory displays of love and affection fueled by Hallmark and would much prefer chocolate, flowers, or a covered race entry fee on a random Wednesday, I want to give a shout out to my fellow lady runners in their pursuit of their sole mate. Er, soul mate.
Gentlemen, listen up!
10 Reasons to date a long distance runner:
1. Short shorts. Need I say more? Runners wear them. Killer legs usually come with.
2. Determination and dedication. A lazy person does not make a good runner. A dedicated person has dreams, turns them into goals, and rocks the socks off them. This is a runner. A person who is truly into long distance running is dedicated to what they do. This dedication continues on into each area of life. Totally desirable.
3. Independent and strong. Runners tend to be self-sufficient, ‘do it themselves’ type of people. There’s a certain personality type that comes with running long distances. They appreciate running with others, but know how to run alone (even, at times, preferring it.) Their strength enables them to push themselves to achieve the seemingly impossible, like running in the snow and pouring rain or going a longer distance than ever before. There’s a certain mental toughness that must be achieved. She’s also the opposite of clingy. She doesn’t need you in her life, and you’re damn lucky if she wants you there. Just don’t try to interfere with her training schedule.
4. They’re Easy. But not like that. Goodness. They’re easygoing, laid back. They’re what you might call a guys’ girl. They can be showered, ready, and out the door in 20 minutes after a run. The girl that gets along well with your parents and your guy friends. The girl that probably doesn’t know how to put on her makeup like a pro or how to tell whether her clothes match outside of running shorts and singlets.
5. More Brazen. Long distance running isn’t for the faint of heart. These runners aren’t afraid to accept a challenge and try something new. They’re brazen. They’re badasses. But, they’re not cocky about it.
6. Diet. I can’t speak for all lady long distance runners, but a lot of us run to eat. And, if you’ve ever seen a runner two days before their next marathon or ultra, you know what I’m talking about. The amount we eat is embarrassing at times. But, we don’t hold back. Food is fuel, and we may just challenge you to finish that next pint. Plus? A lot of runners I know can cook. And, you know what they say about a girl that can cook…
7. Predominately happy people. All of those miles outside aren’t just for fun. They bring some serious endorphin and serotonin boosts. Runners, by nature, seem to be happy people. Just so long as they’ve gone on their run today. If they haven’t, well, watch out.
8. Cheap date. I’ve learned that this is a good thing. Low tolerance = athlete problems. A couple drinks and done. Plus? A long distance runner girl is bound to be in bed early on a Saturday night. Sunday run day, remember? And that day is usually the long run day. That’s not to say that she doesn’t know how to party. That, in and of itself, is an entirely different topic. Just not during training.
9. Competitive Nature. She runs races, guys. Do we really need to question her competitive nature? As aforementioned, she’ll take on a challenge and give it her all. That being said, she may not be competitive with others so much as she is competitive with herself.
10. Runners’ body. This is a tie in with number one: great legs. Great body. Not perfect, but damn strong. Plus? Runner girls will not hate you for spending time in the gym and/or running. She does the same. And she encourages you to as well. And well, you know what they say about being in good physical shape…