The rules to this nomination:
- Make a post about the Liebster Award and thank the blogger who nominated you.
- Answer the questions from the blogger who nominated you.
- Nominate fellow bloggers for the award.
- Write 10 new questions for your nominees to answer.
- There is no actual award, it is just a matter of recognition.
- Pass on the love.
So, before we get down to business, a big giant thank you to the ladies at Slow and Steady(ish) and Running In Scrubs. You’re wonderful, and I appreciate the nomination! Fellow runners and enthusiastic writers that always leave such wonderful comments. Love it!
My questions from Slow and Steady(ish):
- What made you decide to start a blog?
When I started running back in September 2012, my running partner (at the time) and I wanted something to hold us accountable for our training. I had high hopes of posting weekly and keeping detailed accounts of our workouts.
I also have always really enjoyed writing, and hoped that my rambles could help inspire others.
- What was the toughest race you’ve ever run, and what made it so tough?
The Hagg Lake 25k Mud Run. While being the most difficult, it was also my favorite. It snowed here the first weekend in February. It snowed quite a bit for our area. After it snowed for 3 days, it started raining. A lot. It rained all week long. Sunday rolls around, and there you have a 25k trail run at Hagg Lake. There are mud runs, and then there are mud runs. It was a hilly slip and slide. Difficult, but absolutely fantastic at the same time. Full recap here.
- If you could pick anyone, dead or alive, to be your running buddy, who would you choose?
It’s a toss-up between Kara Goucher and Sherlock Holmes (of the original story variety, not the Robert Downey version.) One being living and a real person, and the other being completely fictitious. Kara Goucher because she is an incredible runner, but also attuned to the values of wholesome families and happiness in simplicity. Sherlock, because I’m a lifelong admirer of his ‘work’ and never tire of reading his stories.
- If you could only eat at one restaurant for the rest of your life, which one would it be? Why?
This is an unfair question. I live in such a splendid food mecca.
If I have to choose….A wonderful place in North Portland called Tasty N Sons. All of their food is served Tapas style and is made with such flavorful sauces. I can guarantee you that these guys can make you enjoy brussel sprouts.
- What is your favorite place you’ve ever visited?
The top of the south rim of Mt. St. Helens at sunrise. My aunt, uncle, and I climb it every summer as a newfound tradition.
This was last summer:
- If you run with music, what is your favorite song to run to?
If I run with headphones in, I’m usually listening to podcasts; namely, Stuff You Should Know or This American Life.
- Describe your ideal course for a race (any distance).
Look up the course for Whidbey Island. Those hills were enough to kick my ass, but not quite enough to kill me. I’d take a course like that with perhaps a bit of trail thrown in for good measure.
- What did you want to be when you grew up?
A teacher. I wanted to be an elementary school teacher and a ballerina for as long as I can remember. That changed about the time my father started teaching and I heard how much stress was involved. Or maybe it was when I realized my love of teeth. The ballerina thing fell by the wayside about the time I hit that pre-pubescent stage and looked not unlike a Butterball turkey. Not very graceful.
- Would you rather hold the record for the fastest mile or for the longest distance run in one go?
The longest distance run in one go.
My questions from Running In Scrubs:
1. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be?
Is everywhere too ambiguous of an answer? I went to SE Asia over 5 years ago for 3 months. I travelled to Jamaica earlier this month (more on this amazing trip in my next post.) I’ve been to various parts of Canada.
Real answer is this: I would be willing to take the next international flight out of the country, wherever it may be headed. I’ve quelled the feelings of wanderlust for now in order to focus on school and achieving goals. But really, I want to see all the world has to offer. Each destination has something unique and amazing to offer, and I cannot wait to someday explore.
2. Favorite dessert?
Gluten-free cookies! Soft and chewy, hot and fresh out of the oven. Nom…
3. What song could you listen to over and over again and not get sick of?
Love me some JT.
4. Guilty pleasure?
Either that, or devouring a good book instead of doing homework, laundry, or other pertinent tasks.
5. What is one thing you wish you could do?
Given the current state of my right shin, the answer is easy: run. I wish I could run. Frolic through fields of flowers and sprint down the soft sandy beaches, smile on my face and wind in my hair.
6. What is the scariest thing you’ve ever done?
Actually, no. That was exhilarating, exciting, and terrifying all at the same time. And I would do it again in a heartbeat. Probably the best birthday present ever.
The scariest thing I’ve ever done is quit a job I loved to go back to school full time, fully supporting myself on savings and student loans. I know plenty have done it. But, that does not make it easy. Terrifying, really.
7. First car?
1969 VW bug, yellow convertible.
8. Favorite workout?
It is an hour of forced stretching. Runners appreciate this. We don’t stretch, as you well know.
9. Funniest autocorrect your phone/computer has done?
Oh man. This might be a bit inappropriate, but… I was trying to text ‘moustache’ to a friend and my phone autocorrected it to ‘moist ass.’ Hilarity ensued.
10. Painted nails or bare?
Bare and short fingernails. I cannot remember the last time I painted them. I used to rock climb, which made it impossible to have nails. Toes are only painted long enough for my running shoes to rub it off.
- Pursuing The Void
- Running on Healthy
- PNW runner.
- I Hate Eating Right.
- The Philly Girl Shuffle.
- Proactive Outside.
- Irish Runner Chick.
It was so difficult to choose who should be subjected to this
- What is your favorite breakfast?
- Do you have to drink coffee or tea in the morning to wake up?
- Name 5 things you want to accomplish before you die.
- What are you most proud of?
- Do you have a favorite quote?
- Pancakes or waffles?
- What would someone say is the weirdest thing about you?
- (stealing a question from above!) Favorite workout?
- How long have you kept a blog, and what made you decide to start it?
- What is one of the craziest things you’ve done? (Interpret this how you wish)
- Will you please notify me, or throw a link my way when you respond to these questions? I’d love to read them!
In other news, my weekend was spent with my friends’ 4 little ones, playing ‘the other mom’ for a couple days. Watching these two, pictured above (who are 6 & 7,) play softball was definitely the highlight. The weather was perfect, and their energy was delightful. Das boot adventures are going well, and I’m hoping that there’s improvement soon. Certainly less pain, but I feel like the muscles in my calf have already shrunk. I’m sure it’s all in my head.
More photos of Sexy Boot to come.